How to Massage your Baby’s Arms and Legs
Daily infant massage is an excellent way to bond with your child. Furthermore, massage may
promote better sleeping, relieve colic, and possibly even improve an infant's immune system,
motor skills, and intellectual development, according to research.
1. With one hand, grasp the baby's wrist. Tap her upper arm lightly to relax it.
2. With one hand, hold her wrist and the other in a C-shape around baby's upper arm; stroke
from her shoulder to her wrist.
3. Stroke down from shoulder to wrist with both hands rotating in opposite directions, as if
gently wringing a towel, with each hand grasping her arm, one right above the other.
4. Massage her palm, going from the heel of her hand to her fingers.
5. Stroke down the top of the hand from the wrist to the fingertips. Squeeze and pull each
6. Massage her wrist in small circles with your fingers.
7. Roll the arms between your hands.
1. Lift one of her legs by the ankle and gently tap the upper thigh to relax it.
2. With one hand, hold the ankle and your other hand in a C-shape, thumb down, around your
baby's upper thigh. Stroke down from her thigh to her foot.
3. Stroke down from hip to foot with both hands rotating in opposite directions, as if wringing a
towel, with your hands grasping the leg at the thigh, one right above the other.
4. Massage the sole of her foot from heel to toes with a thumb-over-thumb motion.
5. Stroke the bottom of her foot from heel to toe with your entire hand.6. Stroke the top of her
foot. Gently squeeze and pull each toe.
7. Massage around her ankle using small circles.
8. Roll her leg between your hands, as if you're rolling dough.